TRIO PRO GPSS/GPSV

bferrell

TRIO PRO GPSS/GPSV

Post by bferrell »

Quick question. I"m setting up my Trio AutoPilot soon (finally), and it seems to get ARINC data from my GTN650 fine, when I program an approach the Trio GPSS blue lamp blinks, but when I flip the source to my GRT I don't get that light (I have the Approach Fast Stack wiring harness, so they wired the ARINC swap switch). I was unclear from reading the manual when the GPSS data would be sent from the Hx. I do see the Hx ARINC output is active on the GTN650's IN2 when I go to it's diagnostics page, so maybe I have to engage an autopilot mode on the Hx to see the GPSS light on the Trio? Thanks for any advice.

Brett
GRT_Jeff

Re: TRIO PRO GPSS/GPSV

Post by GRT_Jeff »

The GPSS output is active as long as you have valid roll, pitch, and heading data, and a nav mode with a valid direction target. HDG mode always has a valid selected heading. The GPSV output is active if you have valid altitude and airspeed data. GPSV is never active on the ground, since airspeed is required.
Bobturner

Post by Bobturner »

Per the Trio manual, you need to swap the RS232 line to the HX as well as the pair of ARINC lines. Do you switch all three?
bferrell

Post by bferrell »

That is exactly what my Approach wiring switch does, it swaps the ARINC signals, but not the RS232 GPS signal. That stinks. I'll reach out to Tim.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xknrozhtly7m2 ... l.pdf?dl=0
bferrell

Post by bferrell »

I to to Trio, and they said it should still work as long as I was getting ARINC data out of the EFIS. Sine this I put is shared with the GTN650, I can see the labels on its diagnostics screen. They told me to look for the 121 and 135 labels. I see 121 but not 135. Any ideas as to why?
bferrell

Post by bferrell »

I dropped a note to the support email, but it comes down to two basic questions

1) Is the ARINC out of the HX supposed to always send GPSS signals?

2) My GNAV mode is greyed out. What can cause that (I have the external flight plan from my GTN650 displaying on the Hx)?
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

The HX always transmits GPSS signals. The only setting that would completely prevent them from communicating is a mismatched rate (high/low). The roll command (121) is valid as long as all the source data and AHRS data is valid. In HDG mode, it's valid as long as attitude and heading data are valid. The pitch command (122) is sent, but marked invalid on the ground (no airspeed).

GNAV mode is greyed out if the HX is not receiving a roll command (121) from the 650. You can check the GNAV input status in SET MENU, Display Unit Maintenance, ARINC Status.