Dual VOR indications

mlwynn

Dual VOR indications

Post by mlwynn »

Hi folks,

I have a dual HX system, Garmin GTN 650 and SL 30. When doing some VOR and ILS approaches, I need two separate VOR readings. As is, if I put NAV (GTN) on the upper screen and put NAV 2 (SL30) on the lover screen, when I change the lower screen to NAV 2 it changes the upper screen. Is there any way to have two separate VOR indications from two sources? Do I have this wired wrong?

Regards,

Michael Wynn
Bobturner

Re: Dual VOR indications

Post by Bobturner »

Michael,
Not the direct answer to your question, but if you split the screen PFD/HSI The HSI pointer/needle will show the primary nav while bearing pointers show to/from the other nav sources. I routinely display the ILS and VOR cross fix at KSCK using the SL30's primary and standby channels.
Bob
mlwynn

Post by mlwynn »

HI Bob,

That would be just what I need. I guess I haven't figured out where to look for this. I will go up this weekend and experiment. The users manual for the HX does not really spell this out. There is a sort of fleeting referral to this on 3-9, description of the HSI. It describes white points for nav 1 and cyan for nav 2. There is no picture of this. So I would see little pointers or something to indicate the bearing to or from the selected radial of the nav sources? Guess it is time to go up and experiment. Seems like this would be a little better clarified in the documentation.

Thanks for the heads up.

Michael Wynn
Bobturner

Post by Bobturner »

Yes. I believe you can display up to two gps and two VORs, one on the main CDI needle and the other three as RMI needles. Obviously the localizer can only be shown on the main CDI needle since it doesn't radiate bearings. In the setup menu, somewhere, you have a choice of showing the RMI data as full Length RMI needles, or just showing the heads and tails of the needles. GRT recommends the latter to keep things from getting too cluttered. They are color coded. Since you have up to 3 VOR signals (650, SL30 main and SL30 standby) but the HX only handles two I presume the GRT defaults to the first two but I don't know for certain.
Back to the original issue: Choice of primary nav source is one of the things shared over the inter-display link, so when you change it on box 2 it immediately propagates back to box 1, and vice versa. There may be a way to disable that specific function but I don't know how myself and, in my setup, I never would want to. You need to factor in the chance of getting confused as to what is showing what.
Bobturner

Post by Bobturner »

BTW: I always display the HSI when shooting approaches. My initial attempts at using just the full size PFD had me wandering all over the place. I finally realized that, after 30+ years behind a conventional DG, my mind was not processing heading data from the linear tape without a lot of effort. With the HSI displayed, it's back to normal. I presume the linear display of heading would eventually get there too, with enough practice. But it's not there yet, for me.