Stratux ADS-B Reeceiver

MolsonB

Re: Stratux ADS-B Reeceiver

Post by MolsonB »

GRT_Jeff wrote:If you have an HX, HXr, SX, or Mini, you can do USB to RS232 to USB (a USB-to-RS232 adapter on each end). If you have a WS or HS, serial is the only option.
That sounds funny, but I understand why. Any dongle that GRT plays nice with?
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

I haven't had a chance to try any USB-to-RS232 adapters with our EFIS displays. It's best to look for one that uses an FTDI chip because our FTDI driver is relatively up-to-date. The "Chipi-X Cable USB to RS232" previously mentioned in this thread uses an FTDI chip, so I think it would work. We've used the TRENDnet TU-S9 USB to Serial Converter with the Stratux, which uses the PL2303 chip and those usually work, but the driver is older and I don't have one available to test.
MolsonB

Post by MolsonB »

Playing around with this more, I got the Stratux to operate using the GPIO serial port and a USB to TTL-UART cable (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008AGDTA4)
I had to use a power USB hub though, and the TTL-UART cable powers the Stratux from that.
gdtrfb58

Post by gdtrfb58 »

GRT_Jeff wrote:If you have an HX, HXr, SX, or Mini, you can do USB to RS232 to USB (a USB-to-RS232 adapter on each end). If you have a WS or HS, serial is the only option.
I am confused. Can't I just run a USB cable directly to my hub? Why the conversion to Serial and back again?
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

The EFIS and the Stratux are both USB Hosts, like two desktop computers or laptops. A hub is an expansion of one host port to more host ports. You can't connect two USB hosts together without a device in between that's designed to transfer data between two hosts. Some common options for this type of data are RS232, Ethernet, Bluetooth, and WiFi. The only one both the EFIS and Stratux currently support is RS232.
MolsonB

Post by MolsonB »

I did mine a little different. I didn't like having a micro usb cable plugged into the side without it being secured to the PI. Plus having a USB-Serial cable seems to disable the USB GPS for now (with current code V1.0r1)

The GPIO serial data & power go to a DB9 connector. The blue board in the middle is just a LM2596 DC-DC Buck Converter, so I can feed the unit battery power and it steps it down to 5volts.
The serial data coming out of the stratux is TTL levels, so using the USB to TTL-UART cable mentioned above will go into the back of HXr.
Attachments
pics.JPG
pics.JPG (238.66 KiB) Viewed 63082 times
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

MolsonB wrote:The GPIO serial data & power go to a DB9 connector. The blue board in the middle is just a LM2596 DC-DC Buck Converter, so I can feed the unit battery power and it steps it down to 5volts.
The serial data coming out of the stratux is TTL levels, so using the USB to TTL-UART cable mentioned above will go into the back of HXr.
This required a modification to the Stratux software image in the past. Does this work without modification now?
MolsonB

Post by MolsonB »

It still requires modification. The zip file you guys have listed in your supplement, won't bootup on the latest raspberry pi 3.
I changed one line in the code to switch from USB to the GPIO pins. If using USB, you can't have GPS. But you can with GPIO pins.
On the bench testing, seems to work fine.
JimB

Post by JimB »

Sometimes I get a"Serial 4 input missing" message indicating that my Stratux isn't communicating with my Sport HS. Today that was a problem since there was a lot of weather and the EFIS was not communicating with Stratux (the input counter was not changing) so I had no weather display. I have my Stratux wired to the same power source as my Sport EFIS. If I change the power to the Stratux to be independent of the EFIS (so I can reboot Stratux), does that present a problem? In other words, if the EFIS boots and there is no serial data from Stratux during boot, will the EFIS recognize the serial data when it comes on line after the EFIS is booted and running? I seem to remember a similar situation with ARINC module, that the module has to be powered on at the same time as the EFIS or else the EFIS will not "see" the ARINC module.

Thanks

Jim Butcher
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

The ADS-B input does not require any power sequencing. You can reboot the Stratux at any time and the EFIS will recognize the data as soon as it starts sending any.