Wiring Sport EX to TT22

Mel

Wiring Sport EX to TT22

Post by Mel »

I don't see any headings for the Sport EX, so I thought I would put my question here.
I’m not quite sure how to connect to the TT22. I see the TMAP A & B connections. What I don’t see is connections for “power on” (TT22 pin 13), "GPS position out" (TT22 pin 5), “Traffic in” (TT22 pin 7) and “Altitude out”. The altitude encoder for the TT22 is in the control head which I will no longer be using.
Mel - DAR since the last century
A&P, EAA Tech Cnslr/Flt Advsr
Specializing in Amateur-Built and Light-Sport Aircraft
<rvmel@icloud.com>
North Texas (8TA5)
RV-6 Flying Since 1993/Legend Cub purchased 12/2017
Bobturner

Re: Wiring Sport EX to TT22

Post by Bobturner »

This is really just a guess, but I think you can wire it nearly the same as shown in the TT22 supplement on the GRT web site, with the following exceptions:
There is no adaptor.
Sport EX sends the Trig format (not RS232) over the TMAP lines. The data sent and received includes control functions; pressure altitude; 1090 traffic data from ATC (I forget the acronym); non-2020 compliant GPS data from the Sport.
If you have 2020 compliant GPS data available, it goes to pin 5. It has to be a format the TT22 can read, for example, Garmin ADSB+.
Without the adaptor module I think you need to ground the power on pin 13 (either hard wired or thru a switch).
You have to wire power to the power in pin, and (suggested at least 3) ground wires.
Bobturner

Post by Bobturner »

Mel,
I think you need to follow the instructions found on page 19 - 20 of the Mini X manual.
Mel

Post by Mel »

Thanks Bob. I would not have thought of going to another model's manual. I think I'll wait until I get everything else checked out before I make the TT22 dependent on the EFIS.
Mel - DAR since the last century
A&P, EAA Tech Cnslr/Flt Advsr
Specializing in Amateur-Built and Light-Sport Aircraft
<rvmel@icloud.com>
North Texas (8TA5)
RV-6 Flying Since 1993/Legend Cub purchased 12/2017
Bobturner

Post by Bobturner »

Not sure if this will affect you, but you should read my thread about HX to TT22. Current software had a 30 second delay in switching from air to ground mode, it wouldn't pass the current FAA automated test. GRT sent me some beta software that removes the delay. If you fail 'air on ground' you need the new software.