Sky radar D2 GPS?

Post by Ag9a »

The Sky Radar D2 advertises a WAAS GPS. Will
This GPS act as a source for GPS input into the
Sport Sx EFIS?
GRTBen

Re: Sky radar D2 GPS?

Post by GRTBen »

The sky radars GPS signal is not used by the GRT systems at this time.
GRTBen
Tech Support
GRT Avionics
riya

Post by riya »

If you look under "support", "other equipment", "ADS-B", I do not see Garmin listed as a supported device. Not surprising, they tend to not share with others. Grt recommends the Skyradar D2 at this time, for The HXr.
kwiatkma

Post by kwiatkma »

So this question was for the Sport SX EFIS, but I have the SkyRadar active in the HXr....I would LOVE to have the WAAS GPS input that is on this device be a secondary GPS input into the HXr...my Garmin 250 is notoriously SSSLLLLOOOWWWW for acquiring satellites...

I know the WAAS GPS data is coming over the USB and wireless interfaces (it's drives my ipad)....I second the signal to be interpreted by the HXr software. Even if there is a "license" fee to enable it...or in a software update for free :D

It just seems triple redundant to have to purchase the $400 VFR option to have yet another GPS in the cockpit...which I'm starting to run out of AMPS and space in the Long EZ to power yet another device...when I have 3 GPS's in the cockpit already...

You accept inputs from Garmin and other GPS's on the serial bus...why not the USB bus? It's serial too, just different interface and I'm hoping that there will be enough SkyRadar/GRT customers that they will be really happy with this feature as it will save space, weight, cost and increase safety.....

Thanks for your consideration.
katieb

Post by katieb »

The SkyRadar GPS was intended to be used internally by the SkyRadar unit-- it just needs the GPS so that it knows where it is and can get relevant ADS-B information. As far as we know, it can't output the GPS signal over USB.

You can send in your SX unit and get an internal VFR WAAS GPS for $275. It's light weight and you won't know it's there other than the antenna. I know it seems silly to have so many GPS pucks-- we cross-use them where we can, but sometimes we can't.
Katie Bosman
Pilot/Tech Writer
Jabiru USA Sport Aircraft
http://www.usjabiru.com
GRT Tech Support/Marketing 2012-2014
GRT Pilot Since 2008
gtmule

Post by gtmule »

Kate,

Redena implies that the gps signal is in there, and the user above says it feeds his ipad (over wifi). That'd be a great feature to add to the software if it is in there, and would prevent me cutting up the sky radar's gps cable, tapping into the tx wire and running that to the grt hxr serial in.
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

The SkyRadar GPS data has to be read out of the ADS-B traffic data in the USB connection. It's not a direct GPS feed, but it includes the important information. It's on the to-do list.
kwiatkma

Post by kwiatkma »

I like! Thanks Jeff!
Nikolaos

Post by Nikolaos »

I would also like that feature.

Thanks