DUAL ADSB hook up

flyguy0812

DUAL ADSB hook up

Post by flyguy0812 »

I am installing a DUAL XGPS 170 ADSB. I have the StarTech powered usb hub. How do you connect the hub to the EFIS. I see how the hub will power the DUAL, but how is the data transmitted to the EFIS thru the hub?
jclark

Re: DUAL ADSB hook up

Post by jclark »

The HUB that you have should have Ports 1-4 as INPUTS and Port 0 as OUTPUT.

It should include a cable with a unique end on it that will ONLY go to Port 0. The other end of this cable goes into the EFIS.
The DUAL (or any other compatible ADS-B receiver) is connected to any one of the four INPUT ports (1-4).

I connect the ADS-B receiver AND my USB Memory stick to the HUB and it all works.

You will probably notice a small delay (a few extra seconds) on the initial boot up (before you get to "ACCEPT") due to the EFIS driver checking out the ADS-B receiver that is plugged in.

James
(p.s. I am the one who did field testing of this so feel free to email me direct of there is any confusion or issues with what I placed here. jclarkmail <AT> gmail.com
flyguy0812

Post by flyguy0812 »

Duh on me

Thanks
Gene
Squeak

Post by Squeak »

DUAL ADSB hook up

Installing DUAL XGPS 170 ADSB I bought at SNF. I have the StarTech powered usb 4 port power hub ordered so do you connect the hub to receive 12 volt power from aircraft power circuit?
Thanks
Squeak
Last edited by Squeak on Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bobturner

Post by Bobturner »

Caution to All: Do not do that!
The GRT web site instructions somewhere (I forget where) caution that the EFIS USB port is not capable of powering all these devices at once, and an attempt to do so may result in damage to the EFIS USB circuitry. YES, you must supply the hub with 12 volt power from the aircraft buss, thru a fuse or CB of appropriate size.
Squeak

Post by Squeak »

Bob, I will get the StarTech powered usb 4 port power hub installed before hooking USB cable up.
Thanks,
Squeak
Squeak

Post by Squeak »

Got the StarTech powered usb 4 port power hub installed and USB cable hooked up. Everything working as advertised. Now need to get my Garmin 330 upgraded to ES.
Thanks,
Squeak
Squeak

Traffic Ghost

Post by Squeak »

After installing Dual ADSB 170 there's a Ghost Traffic Alert comes and goes at 0 altitudes right on top of me (SX Sport map page). Maybe it’s because of the Garmin 330 without ES receiving TIS interfering with ADSB Traffic. Dual coming in USB Hub and TIS serial port. Ideas anyone?
Squeak
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

If the ghost only appears with the ADS-B input, and you're operating in Mode S coverage, the ADS-B data should contain your Mode S Address. Enter your Mode S Address in the SET MENU, General Setup, Flight ID and Address page to filter it out. If the radar does not have Mode S, an address will not be received, and the EFIS can't directly filter it.
Squeak

Post by Squeak »

Jeff, First I looked at Garmin 330 Setup listed Address US Tail # N330G and for the FLT ID same as Tail. Than went to SX Sport EFIS set menu, general setup, entered N330G in FLT ID but did not enter anything into the Address for mode S. Got a feeling that something needs to be entered into the Address for mode S. There’s no way to enter tail number there (No correct letters or number listed for entering the N number).

OK think I found the problem in the Dual 170 ADSB Manual. The Mode S Address that's needed entered into the EFIS General Setup is found on the FAA AC Registration. Will enter this number and let you know how it goes.
Thanks,
Squeak
Last edited by Squeak on Sun May 04, 2014 2:15 am, edited 6 times in total.