SKYRADAR D2 weather on HX-HS system

mamcelr

Re: SKYRADAR D2 weather on HX-HS system

Post by mamcelr »

Jeff . . . I spoke to Alexy at SkyRadar and he will add "serial out" to my D2 for a lab fee of just $40. He wanted me to confirm that my HS can support a baud rate of 230400bps. I cannot find within GRT's documentation where maximum baud rates are discussed for the HS. In one of your prior posts in this thread you mentioned there was a high speed port on the HS. Can you confirm the Port # and if it will support the 230400bps baud rate. That seems like an odd rate to me, but I've double checked his email twice now. Thank you.
Bobturner

Post by Bobturner »

HS has two ports that can go up to 256K. But listed speeds high to low are: 256K, 128K, 115.2K, ...
230.4K seems to be missing. GRT, help!
mamcelr

Post by mamcelr »

I emailed Alexy again today and he reconfirmed 230400bps. At 256k, that covers SkyRadar's speed.

I'm still looking to understand Jeff's comment earlier in this thread regarding a "high speed" port. Hopefully he'll kick in on that subject.

This could be a great option for those using the late model D2 and a mixed panel of HX and HS screens. The late model D2 is identified by a serial number that appears next to the QR Code on the top of the unit. If there's no serial number, the unit cannot be modified. I also confirmed with Alexy that this modification results in 3 working outputs; WiFi, serial and USB, all of which can be used simultaneously. So I can leave the unit plugged into the HX, wire it to the HS and receive the signal on my iPad via WiFi. Nice!!
Bobturner

Post by Bobturner »

re: high speed: On the HS only ports 1 and 2 are 'high speed', the others won't go above some number (64K??)
mamcelr

Post by mamcelr »

Okay . . . that's all I need to give this a try. I bought the plane completed, so I'll need to figure out what's connected to ports 1 and 2 and move them. Hopefully neither is something that requires high speeds. I'll report back after it's all put back together.
deej

Post by deej »

mamcelr wrote:I emailed Alexy again today and he reconfirmed 230400bps. At 256k, that covers SkyRadar's speed.
The serial speeds need to match on both devices. 230k on one device and 256k on the other won't work...

-Dj
mamcelr

Post by mamcelr »

Uh oh . . . that's a problem. Any ideas on how to rectify that?
deej

Post by deej »

mamcelr wrote:Uh oh . . . that's a problem. Any ideas on how to rectify that?
One of the devices has to be modified to support the same baud rate as the other, by the respective manufacturer.

-Dj
gdtrfb58

Post by gdtrfb58 »

E-mail the people at Skyradar. They will give you a good price on the DX or allow a trade in. I took the discounted price and sold the D2 on EBay.
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

The latest software for the WS and HS (35i) has 230400 in the list of baud rate choices. This will work on the high speed ports (ports 1 and 2 on the Horizon models) as long as there isn't another module (ARINC-429) attached to the port. This baud rate was added to support the DX, so it should work with the modified D2.