ADS-B+ compatibility

Bo1000

ADS-B+ compatibility

Post by Bo1000 »

Currently, my EX EFIS sees a 430W as "GPS#1". I plan to have the 430W modified to output ADS-B+. Will this cause a problem for the EFIS? Thanks.
Bobturner

Re: ADS-B+ compatibility

Post by Bobturner »

Your EFIS should run the same as before the Garmin software upgrade. Make sure you copy all the Garmin internal settings before the upgrade, and verify that they are the same afterwards. To use the ADSB+ you will have to run a new wire (unless there's already an unused wire there) from a 430W RS232 port, to the device using the ADSB+ (for example, a TT22 transponder). Getting into the connector on the back of the 430W may involve some unpleasant time on your back under the panel (I know!).
PS that garmin connector uses High Density pins, not the standard ones. I forget if you need male or female.
Bo1000

Post by Bo1000 »

Thanks, Bob, that really helps. And yeah, I'm prepping my mind for the contortions.

For the connection to my transponder, can I splice a wire onto the existing GPS wire that runs from the 430W to the EFIS ("GPS#1" wire)? I know the 430W has another RS232 port, but the manual suggests that it might be for connecting multiple 430W's together.

Bo
Bobturner

Post by Bobturner »

Unfortunately, no. There are a number of different 'formats' available, containing different information. The EFIS wants to see "aviation" format, while your ADSB-out device needs the information contained in "ADSB+" format. You can configure any port to output any format, but you'll need two, and a wire from each one.
Bo1000

Post by Bo1000 »

That's what I needed to know - thanks Bob.
Clam

Post by Clam »

Gents,
A few questions on configuring for ADS-B out with the following system & software versions:
- 430W, main sw 5.20, gps sw 5.0
- HXr, sw 7.0-proc, latest navdb (10/11 I believe)
- TT22

Questions:
1. Is updating the adapter software the same as updating the TT22? In other words, is that the method of updating the TT22?
2. In the TT22 settings on HXr menu pages, I do not see an "ADS-B+" option for GPS in. The closest option is "Garmin ADS-B". Are these the same thing?
3. How do I get into the output configuration in the 430W? And do I need to in order to select "ADS-B+" out from 430W?
4. Is anyone using this configuration able to send a photo of the config settings from the HXr page?

I fail every ADS-B block of the performance report currently. I get "TRAFFIC UNAVAILABLE" notices about 1/2-2/3 of the duration of each flight.
I am 99% sure I have the configuration set incorrectly somewhere.
Thanks for any guidance.
Jeff
Jeff
RV-8 Memphis, TN (KFYE)
jb.flynavy@gmail.com
Clam

Post by Clam »

... regarding my previous post questions, I have the Garmin installation manual now for question 3. Looks like... power unit off, press and hold ENT key, power unit on.

Hopefully my solution will be to enable the 430W output to "ADS-B+" and then that option will appear on the TT22 GPS in menu.

I'm all ears if anyone has inputs on this or my previous post.
Thanks
Jeff
RV-8 Memphis, TN (KFYE)
jb.flynavy@gmail.com
Bobturner

Post by Bobturner »

Okay, you’ ve found your way into the configuration menu.
Hopefully you’ve read the previous posts, and understand that you need a second wire from a different RS232 port comng out the back of the 430. Check what port number corresponds to the pin you hooked the wire to. In the configuration menu set that port to ADSB+ (not just ADSB). Check the speed, I think it’s 9600 but cannot remember for sure. While in this menu check that all other settings match the setup guide. Turn the power off to save them.
GRT updates the adaptor but not the TT22. The TT22 uses firmware and has to be sent back if you want an upgrade.
Clam

Post by Clam »

This helps, thank you. I believe i have my head wrapped around it all now and just to complete the work.

After this is complete, i plan to run serial line, etc to connect a Flightbox to the HXr. That should give me plenty to look at on the screens.
Jeff
RV-8 Memphis, TN (KFYE)
jb.flynavy@gmail.com
Clam

Post by Clam »

Well, still no luck, so a couple more questions...
On the TT22 page in the HXr General Setup pages, I show:
1. External GPS Communication : No
2. GPS Input : Garmin ADS-B (there is no selection available for ADS-B+)
3. GPS/TIS Rate : 9600
4. TIS Output : Garmin remote + TIS
5. GPS Position : unknown
6. Last Reply Count : this cycles between 0, 1,2

I have the 430W serial line installed in the TT22 adapter Pin 5. The respective 430W serial out channel is set to ADS-B OUT +

Confused. Have tried to follow all the equipment supplements I can find.
Thanks
Jeff
RV-8 Memphis, TN (KFYE)
jb.flynavy@gmail.com