Garmin GDL-39 & Garmin 796 to HXR

Bill_H

Garmin GDL-39 & Garmin 796 to HXR

Post by Bill_H »

I just acquired a Velocity XLRG with a single screen GRT HXR so I'm reading a lot of manuals. GRT software has been updated.

a> It also has a GDL 393D ADSB-IN receiver connected (currently) via Bluetooth to a Garmin Aera 796. Obviously I want to get the ADSB-IN information into the GRT. The GDL 39 supports 2 bluetooth connections and one hardwired "display out." think I have figured out (please confirm!) that the potential hardwired "display out" RS232 from the GDL39 itself CANNOT be connected to a serial in port on the HXR. (If correct - why?)

b> The 796 also has RS232 out. It is not currently connected to the HXR but documentation seems to say that it can be. (True?) If so, what information gets transmitted? Will the ADSB-IN information go out "through" that link in a way the GRT will understand it?

c> If a and b are "NO" - cheap suggestions?

There is also a 430W in the plane but that might be a later question...

Thanks!!!
Bill H
GRT_Jeff

Re: Garmin GDL-39 & Garmin 796 to HXR

Post by GRT_Jeff »

The RS232 interface is a Garmin proprietary interface that we don't know how to talk to. There's no way to get the GDL39 data into a GRT EFIS.

The 796 can output standard NMEA0183 GPS data including position and flight plan. It will not send anything else. None of the Garmin units will retransmit ADS-B data from another device. Only a couple of their new transponder-receiver combos will output in a standard format we can read.

The cheapest receiver would be a Stratux, the one you build yourself. Add a USB-RS232 adapter, update a file to enable the output, and connect that to an HXr serial input. Other companies have made their own preassembled versions with custom hardware and software, like the FlightBox. We're working on our own but I don't know when it will be ready or the price. Other receivers we've had experience with are the SkyRadar D2 and Dual XGPS170D.
Bill_H

Post by Bill_H »

Thanks for the clear response! I have an available (free) Stratus 2 receiver. Any way to get that data stream into the GRT HXR? Some wifi-to-serial conversion? Could be almost as expensive as building a Stratux, and/or more complicated, I don't really want to be a pioneer in using obsolete equipment or spend a lot of hours of effort!
Bill H
Bobturner

Post by Bobturner »

I can vouch for the Skyradar D2 (USB into an Hx). Works fine. I think you can find them used for $500 or less. That includes a gps source that the Hx can read and use. Also sends out WiFi to an iPad running WingX.
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

I don't know of any way to get Stratus 2 data into an EFIS. Even FlyQ can't read the Stratus 2 data and it supports 20+ ADS-B receivers.