Stratux ADS-B Reeceiver

howard4113

Stratux ADS-B Reeceiver

Post by howard4113 »

You probably know by now - you can put together a Stratux dual band ADS-B reeceiver for about $120.
Works with Foreflight, WX Pro ......
Info here: http://stratux.me/
Forum here: https://www.reddit.com/r/stratux/
I'm working on a serial interface that would connect the receiver to the GRT EFIS.
Is there any interest in this?

Mark
JimB

Re: Stratux ADS-B Reeceiver

Post by JimB »

Absolutely, Mark! I have the GRT XM weather but would like an ADS-B solution that displays on my Sport HS (serial input).

Thanks

Jim Butcher
howard4113

Post by howard4113 »

Jim, I have a prototype unit that's ready to hook up for testing. It works with a Stratux receiver right now, but SHOULD be configurable for any WiFi ADS-B receeiver that works with Foreflight, Wx Pro.....
You should be able to connect the serial out cable pin to an open port, connect the ground, and plug it in to a 12v outlet. You need to configure the serial input port as is shown ion the GRT documentation. The device will automatically connect to the configured network (Stratus, Stratux.....) and begin streaming to your EFIS.
You will get all the ADS-B features that GRT supports, including traffic, radar, METARs, TAFs, and TFRs.
I will sell it as a standalone unit, or in combination with a Stratux ADS-B receiver for those who chose not to build one.

Mark
JimB

Post by JimB »

Mark,

That sounds great. Please contact me via email butcher43 at att.net with pricing and to help clarify options - see the questions below.

I looked at the website you mentioned and note that it appears a AHRS version will be available. I would also like that as a backup attitude indicator on my iPad. Today I use SkyCharts on the iPad for charts and approach plates. I have a GNS430 (non WAAS) for navigation and approaches.

I'm thinking I will end up with a Mode S ADS-B out solution but would like to get weather and traffic on a UAT in.

Thanks

Jim Butcher
jclark

Post by jclark »

howard4113 wrote:Jim, I have a prototype unit that's ready to hook up for testing. It works with a Stratux receiver right now, but SHOULD be configurable for any WiFi ADS-B receeiver that works with Foreflight, Wx Pro.....
You should be able to connect the serial out cable pin to an open port, connect the ground, and plug it in to a 12v outlet. You need to configure the serial input port as is shown ion the GRT documentation. The device will automatically connect to the configured network (Stratus, Stratux.....) and begin streaming to your EFIS.
You will get all the ADS-B features that GRT supports, including traffic, radar, METARs, TAFs, and TFRs.
I will sell it as a standalone unit, or in combination with a Stratux ADS-B receiver for those who chose not to build one.

Mark
Mark,

I would like to purchase one of your interface units.
I did a lot of the initial testing of ADS-B receivers on the GRT EFIS systems *and* I have a Stratux lying around that I built.

For me it is for completeness of my curiosity as I already have receivers hardwired. It would be interesting to me to see how the Stratux compares, "performance-wise".

Thanks

James
howard4113

Post by howard4113 »

James,

Please send me an email, and I'll get back to you with pricing, status....
Howard4113@msn.com
Anybody who is interested in a purchase is encouraged to contact me directly.
BTW, I tested the unit today on my Sport HS system, and it worked great.
Thanks to Jeff, Mark and Todd at GRT for their support!

Mark
JimB

Post by JimB »

Greg & Jeff,

It was great to see Stratux working with a GRT EFIS on the serial connection Saturday.

Do I just need a USB to RS232 converter cable like this

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/e ... 0converter

and connect the two units together? I use the high speed port like I'm currently doing for GRT XM, correct? Do I have to change the name or just leave it as weather?

Greg said something about Jeff changing some code to make this happen. What do I have to do if anything?

Thanks for the help.

Jim Butcher
JimB

Post by JimB »

I just flew this afternoon using Stratux to display traffic and weather on my Sport HS EFIS. It works fine! I am using a serial port on the EFIS (not USB) and followed the instructions in the new Stratux Supplement. I am using a Chipi-X Cable USB to RS232 dongle from DigiKey . I made an adapter cable so I just plug the existing cable for my XM WX into my Stratux.

Jim Butcher
MolsonB

Post by MolsonB »

Is there any support for straight USB to USB? I don't have any free serial ports.
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

If you have an HX, HXr, SX, or Mini, you can do USB to RS232 to USB (a USB-to-RS232 adapter on each end). If you have a WS or HS, serial is the only option.