Garmin GTX 345 - ADSB IN

russcoburn

Garmin GTX 345 - ADSB IN

Post by russcoburn »

Does the new Garmin GTX 345 transponder with ADSB IN/OUT connect to the GRT Sport unit to show traffic/weather? It looks like it may support connected via direct wire connection and/or bluetooth option. I currently use the Dual portable unit to show this ADSB IN data in the GRT Sport and wondering if I install the GTX 345 if I would still need my portable Dual unit or if this could replace it.
GRT_Jeff

Re: Garmin GTX 345 - ADSB IN

Post by GRT_Jeff »

According to a couple sources, the GTX 345 has a "legacy" output mode that sends the standard GDL90 ADS-B format on a serial output, which is the format we can read. This output is documented for the GDL 88, where it's on an RS422 port. You may need an RS422-to-RS232 converter to connect it to the Sport. I have not seen this in the official GTX 345 documentation yet.
scooter

Post by scooter »

I'm looking at changing my GTX 330 out for a GTX 345.
Is there any new news on getting traffic and weather displaying on an HX display?

Are there any wiring diagrams available yet?

Thanks

Scott
Scott E
RV-8
Minneapolis, MN
Bobturner

Post by Bobturner »

Not what you asked, but: there are less expensive solutions unless you are set on using Garmin. Wait a month; GRT should have info posted by then on their ADSB compatible gps source, announced at Oshkosh. Combined with the TT-22 (controlled by the HX) and any number of available ADSB-in boxes, you can save considerable money (four figures). Better yet, it can all be remote mounted, saving panel space.
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

There are one or two people attempting to connect a 345 and a couple more have asked about it. I haven't heard any stories of success or failure yet.
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

I just found a post in another forum that agrees with my understanding that you won't be able to get full traffic and weather over a single RS232 port from the GTX345. You might need two ports, which our software doesn't currently support, or you might need an RS422 port.
Norcalrv7

Post by Norcalrv7 »

I'm assembling my panel which consists of a GTX345, 430W, and a HXr. Is there any more word on getting the Garmin transponder to interface with the EFIS?

Thanks!

Caleb
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

I still haven't received any reports about trying to get ADS-B data from the 345.
Norcalrv7

Post by Norcalrv7 »

I should be able to tell you in the next few days as connect everything up. You mentioned possibly using a RS422 converter, or being able to get partial functionality? care to expand on this a little more?

Caleb
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

The GTX 345 has an RS232 "LGCY TRAFFIC" output that it describes as "GDL 90 traffic", and an RS422 "LGCY TRAFFIC" output that it describes as "GDL 90 enhanced traffic". GDL 90 is the ADS-B standard interface format for traffic and FIS-B/weather which is supported by the EFIS. Normally this interface would include FIS-B weather and other data but this output only says traffic. This should provide traffic to the EFIS. None of the other outputs mention GDL 90 FIS-B or weather, so it is not clear if you can get weather in a format the EFIS understands.