ILS Glideslope not working on WS

RVator

ILS Glideslope not working on WS

Post by RVator »

I have two original Horizon WS units with a G430W. I am not getting any Glide Slope indication for ILS approaches. I do get them for GPS approaches. Is there a setting I can check or something I am missing?
Thanks,
Bobturner

Re: ILS Glideslope not working on WS

Post by Bobturner »

Need more info.
Are you using an ARINC input on the WS, or analog inputs?
Do you get a good localizer signal?
Are you sure you have the GS antenna connected on the 430? Unlike some boxes the 430 requires a dedicated GS antenna input. (Most people use a splitter on the VOR coax to get the needed GS signal).
RVator

Post by RVator »

Hi Bob,
I will try to answer as best as I can. I don't know some of the answers so if you can direct me how to find out, I would appreciate it.
Are you using an ARINC input on the WS, or analog inputs?
I am pretty sure we are using ARINC inputs. Will that show up in the settings page?
Do you get a good localizer signal?
Don't know the answer to that but I am pretty sure we are not getting any inputs. I will verify tomorrow as we are going flying and will do another ILS approach
Are you sure you have the GS antenna connected on the 430? Unlike some boxes the 430 requires a dedicated GS antenna input.
Without looking, I can't say yes, but I am 90% sure it is connected. I will verify that. We do not have any VORs.
Bobturner

Post by Bobturner »

What does your last sentence mean? There are no VORs in your area, or you cannot receive them?
On the GRT there is a setting to allow the GRT to toggle the 430 between gps and vloc. When you think you are on the ILS does the 430 read ( near bottom) "VLOC"? Or does it still say "GPS"?
Also, on the ILS, can you hear the morse code?
RVator

Post by RVator »

Bobturner wrote:What does your last sentence mean? There are no VORs in your area, or you cannot receive them?
On the GRT there is a setting to allow the GRT to toggle the 430 between gps and vloc. When you think you are on the ILS does the 430 read ( near bottom) "VLOC"? Or does it still say "GPS"?
Also, on the ILS, can you hear the morse code?
Hi Bob,
Thanks for the reply. I could have worded that better. I meant to say we do not have a VOR receiver in the airplane. We are receiving them in the 430. We flew last week before I left for vacation. I made sure VLOC was showing in the 430. We did receive the localizer, but not the glide slope. Didn't check for the Morse code. I am wondering if there is a setting I am missing in the GRT? What should the setting read to allow it to toggle between GPS and Vloc? We are getting the GS for the GPS approaches. I want to try to figure out if it is the GRT or the 430.
Bobturner

Post by Bobturner »

Not sure on the WS. On the HS, the second from the right bottom button brings up a menu. "GPS" is gps; "NAV" (grt) is "VLOC"(Garmin). Going between those choices should toggle the 430.
Do easy things first. Stick your head under the panel and look at the back of the 430. There should be 4 coaxial cables connected (com, GPS, VOR-Localizer, and GS).
You DO have a VOR in the plane- the 430!
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

When you tune an ILS, the needles or scales should appear on the PFD. On the left side of the circles for the needles or scales, it should say ILS, VOR, or GPS in yellow. The ILS glideslope will only work if it shows ILS there. You may need to manually select the NAV mode on the GRT, or you may have it set up to automatically switch. You should also check SET MENU, Display Unit Maintenance, ARINC Status to see if the VOR/LOC/GS data is coming through. Check the VOR/ILS Frequency line. If the VOR/LOC/GS data is transferring the frequency shown on that line will always match the frequency set on the 430. That would mean all the data is transferring. There are no separate options for an ILS localizer and glideslope in the GRT or 430. In SET MENU, General Setup, the "ARINC VOR/ILS Inputs" line should be set to NAV1 so the GRT knows to use the ARINC inputs for that data as your primary NAV source.