Upgrade to New EX7?

danrv7a

Upgrade to New EX7?

Post by danrv7a »

I put in my order to upgrade my two WSs to EX7s but after digging in for more information I realized I would have to rewire several things.

I have a Garmin GNS 480 / GTX 330 / SL 40 / TruTrac GSGV as well as 5 analog connections. The new EX7 can have up to 4 optional analog connections and it has no facilities for the discrete connections for Glideslope and Localizer from the 480 or a 430. You can use Arinc if you get that option. The WS also used 3 of the 5 analog connections for ILS Tuned / GPS Dev Active / VOR/ILS Dev Active and the other two analog connections were used for Trim Indicators.

The net of it is that I am now back to the drawing board trying to fit the Hx into my panel which will be a trick to get in there but at least it will be a pull the WS and plug in the Hx - after I cut the opening to fit.
This post was just to advise any of you planning to swap your WS for EX7 to go over your wiring carefully. Also the trade-in on WS ends 1/2017.
Danny
330drvr

Re: Upgrade to New EX7?

Post by 330drvr »

Can't comment on the EX7, but I changed from dual WS to dual HX a while ago and it was a wonderful upgrade. Well worth it. You won't regret it! I would suggest the dual AHRS if you do it.

I also have the 480, SL40, and TruTrak VGSV as you do.
RV-7A
Dual HX, Mini X, dual adaptive AHRS, GRT EIS