GRT WS Tumbles and/or leans on startup

oscarm98

GRT WS Tumbles and/or leans on startup

Post by oscarm98 »

My GRT WS has recently started not coming up out of boot mode correctly.

I moved any metal objects away from the AHRS and have re booted several times and now it does not find level or stay level (when level).

This is a recent occurrence and has happened in the past but was usually fixed when I re-booted once or twice.

I was trying to show the unit off to a friend of mine looking to upgrade his panel and this was embarrassing... Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Dave
GRT_Jeff

Re: GRT WS Tumbles and/or leans on startup

Post by GRT_Jeff »

If the AHRS will not stay within a couple degrees of level while the plane has been stationary the whole time, then there's a hardware problem. It may have an unreliable gyro sensor.
oscarm98

Post by oscarm98 »

Jeff,
Thank you for your reply. I think I have narrowed it down to tumbling while in the Hangar. Does the gps signal help it "find" itself?

Thank you.
Dave
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

GPS data is used for aiding when airspeed isn't available. It will help the AHRS align the gyros more aggressively. However, this normally isn't needed when the plane isn't moving.
oscarm98

Post by oscarm98 »

Jeff,
Yes, I thought that I had it narrowed down to "in the hangar" but it recently would not erect properly. How can I determine if it is the AHRS or the Box?

Is the Gyro sensor in the AHRS or in the Main Sport WS box?

Thank you.

Dave
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

The gyros that make up the AHRS are inside a Sport WS display. The only external AHRS part in a Sport WS is the magnetometer (black plastic box). (The AHRS/gyros are in a separate metal box in a Horizon WS system.)

You must power the Sport off and on to reboot the AHRS. Rebooting the display with the buttons will not reboot the AHRS.

If you power the Sport off and back on with good power (must be above 10V), without moving the plane at all, and it doesn't come up with a stable attitude, there's likely something wrong with the AHRS inside the Sport display. One thing you can do to help confirm the problem is record the data using the "DEMO" function. Attach a USB flash drive, find the DEMO button, select RECORD, allow some data to record showing the problem, go back to DEMO, and select STOP. This will save the AHRS data to one or more files on the USB flash drive starting with the word "DEMO". You can e-mail those to us to check out. We may be able to tell what component has failed from the data.
oscarm98

Post by oscarm98 »

Jeff,
It did it again the other day so I will do as you suggest and record the data in Demo mode and send to you.

I will contact you when I am ready to send it over.

Thank you.

Dave