Viewing external flight plan on Mini-X

Discussions and updates about the new Mini EFIS line.
Airdog

Viewing external flight plan on Mini-X

Post by Airdog »

My configuration: HXr, Mini-X and GNS480.

The issue I'm having is viewing an external flight plan on the Mini-X that was entered into the GNS480 and is showing up on the external flight plan view of the HXr. The HXr handles the external and internal flight plans as outlined in the manual. However, no matter what combinations I've tried in the setup menu dealing with the Nav source, the Mini-X will not show the external flight plan off the GNS480 (again, even though it displays on the HXr). The Mini-X does handle/display the internal flight plan between the DUs just fine.

I have researched this every avenue that I can think and I am just stumped.

(PS - Note that I stated I have a Mini-X ... the HDG question I asked the other day on the -AP really was for a friend of mine! ;) )
GRT_Jeff

Re: Viewing external flight plan on Mini-X

Post by GRT_Jeff »

Is the GNS480 RS232 connection wired to both? Make sure it is configured consistently as GPS1 or GPS2 on all screens.

The flight plan data comes through the RS232 connection only. If it's only wired to the HXr, make sure the HXr is configured to Send GPS Data over the link (SET MENU, General Setup, Inter-Display Link).

In the common case, where the GNS480 is GPS1 and the Internal GPS is GPS2, these settings should be set in General Setup:
GPS1 Flight Plan Source: External
GPS2 Flight Plan Source: Internal
Virtual GPS2: Off (always set to off if you have real inputs for GPS1 and GPS2)
Airdog

Re: Viewing external flight plan on Mini-X

Post by Airdog »

Is the GNS480 RS232 connection wired to both?
No. It's wired to the HXr, but not the Mini-X.
If it's only wired to the HXr, make sure the HXr is configured to Send GPS Data over the link (SET MENU, General Setup, Inter-Display Link).
It wasn't. Fixed.
In the common case, where the GNS480 is GPS1 and the Internal GPS is GPS2
Mine were reversed. I swapped them to standardize.
GPS1 Flight Plan Source: External
GPS2 Flight Plan Source: Internal
Virtual GPS2: Off (always set to off if you have real inputs for GPS1 and GPS2)
I had those settings, but I think the obvious setting that I didn't have was the inter-display link set to pass GPS data.

All is good... external flight plan loads up fine now on Mini-X.

Thanks Jeff!