Roll servo override is not smooth

maniago

Roll servo override is not smooth

Post by maniago »

I'm still in gnd testing, so I get the pitch servo wont engage (but both servos respond to fwd and rev testing commands).

In testing the roll servo, when I try to override it, it notches or jumps like its skipping a gear tooth, ie its not a smooth override like when the servo is disengaged. Ive got the torque set at 5 and its the same "notchiness" and override pressure needed as when set at 10.

Is this the normal feeling of the override function? I'll note that I dont read anything in the AP manual that discusses what to expect, so hence the qu.

Thanks for any help.
GRT_Jeff

Re: Roll servo override is not smooth

Post by GRT_Jeff »

The override works by physically overcoming the holding force of the motor. The servo doesn't detect your force and temporarily disengage. The motor just doesn't have enough force to hold. When it breaks free and you are still pushing it, it is still trying to hold and stay engaged. It should be much easier to override at 5 vs 10.
maniago

Re: Roll servo override is not smooth

Post by maniago »

GRT_Jeff wrote:The override works by physically overcoming the holding force of the motor. The servo doesn't detect your force and temporarily disengage. The motor just doesn't have enough force to hold. When it breaks free and you are still pushing it, it is still trying to hold and stay engaged. It should be much easier to override at 5 vs 10.

Ok Jeff, thanks for the technicals. I get that the motor is still engaged, but I was expecting to be able to push the motor smoothly against its force, not have it let go in a notchy fashion, like its skipping a gear tooth. I note that at the end of the servo travel, it does the same notchiness, so I believe youre telling me this is normal.

But just to be absolutely clear, is the notchy manual override normal?

Thanks