Erratic RPM

brkwlf

Erratic RPM

Post by brkwlf »

I am trying to set up a secondary RPM on my EIS6000 from the p-lead of my IO550 mag. Seems like a easy setup. I installed a 33k ohm resistor between p-lead and EIS pin 24. RPM indication highly erratic. Tried low and High Sensitivity. No help. P/R settings ok. Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks, Brooke
Bobturner

Re: Erratic RPM

Post by Bobturner »

I'm assuming RPM #1 works okay? If so, I'd pull the pins at the EIS connector and swap rpm 1 and 2. If the problem stays with rpm 2, the EIS has a problem, call grt. If the problem now moves to rpm 1, the issue is with the wiring. You're looking for an intermittant connection. Look hard at the crimps to the resistor, connectors, etc.
brkwlf

Post by brkwlf »

That is a great idea! (Why didn't I think of that ;) I will try it at the hangar tomorrow and let you know what I find.
brkwlf

Post by brkwlf »

Well, I tried the p-lead input to Tac1 input. It gave me an imperfect but usable tac reading. This seems to indicate a fault with the tac2 processor. I did not try the hall effect input into tac2. I also tried the Electroaire Electronic ignition tac output straight into tac2. Works perfectly with low Sense and p/r of 3. I think I will keep this configuration as it gives me two independent tac sources.

I don't think I mentioned that the reason I am going to 2 sources is that the indication with my hall effect input is somewhat unreliable. 90% of the time it works, then with no warning, it will just quit on a startup. The next start it works again. Seems totally random. My plan is to wait for total failure so I can properly diagnose the problem.