EX problem

nightflier

EX problem

Post by nightflier »

I'm working a problem with a new EX unit, can someone tell me if the EIS will work on any Serial port? I'm using serial 4 now, counter is running but no data is going to EX unit.
THanks,
Sam MArlow
GRT_Jeff

Re: EX problem

Post by GRT_Jeff »

The EIS is low speed at 9600 baud. It will work on any serial port on any EFIS, and on any passthru port on any module.
nightflier

Post by nightflier »

I'm still having problems getting the EIS to work with a two screen setup, one being the old WS and the new EX. I can receive engine data if I use port 4 directly, but can't get anything through the pass through on the ARNC remote box.
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

The passthrough port is the one the ARINC is connected to, not necessarily the one on the old Sport ARINC-429 External Module instruction sheet. Sometimes this is confusing. The sheet says port 4 because on the original Sport WS and HS, port 4 was the only port you could connect it to. If your ARINC module is connected to port 1, then the passthrough port is configured with the settings for port 1. On the EX you must specify what port the ARINC module is connected to with the "ARINC Module Connected" setting. If the module is connected to port 4 of the EX, you must set it to "Yes, Port 4". If you don't specify the port, the default is port 1.
nightflier

Post by nightflier »

Thanks, that cured most of my problems. But I now have a" Invalid fine magnetometer calibration data "error message in the status window. The heading looks good, is this ok? When I tried to do a calibration I received a "Check sum error" message.
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

The invalid fine magnetometer calibration message means your magnetic heading isn't calibrated. Depending on your installation, there may be large errors in the heading without calibration.

"Checksum error" usually means the same thing: that it has never been completed successfully. You should be able to start the calibration procedure and have it tell you to rotate, or tell you why it will not start. You must do the calibration from the display that has the serial output wire to the AHRS. If it fails during or after rotation you should get a more specific error:
"Calibration Invalid - Did not finish" -- The calibration was started but the rotation was never completed.
"Calibration Invalid - AHRS rotated too fast" -- The turn was too fast at some point.
"Calibration Invalid - Maximum correction exceeded" -- This aborts the rotation immediately.

The more specific error message may be lost if you reboot the display unit. It is not always saved.
nightflier

Post by nightflier »

Tried today to do the magnetometer check. It steps me through to the question, "is the aircraft heading north" I respond yes, but then I get a check sum failure at this point, every time I try. What do I do next?
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

After "Are the aircraft, AHRS, and magnetometer pointing to magnetic north?" you will get either "Waiting for gyros to stabilize (this may take a few minutes)..." or another prompt for "Airspeed may be too high for calibration. Continue?". The "Waiting for gyros" one will take at least 12 seconds. You can't rotate the plane until it tells you to. Do not reboot the screen. If there's a problem it will give you another message in that same location on the screen. The checksum failure message is just a default message meaning no valid data has been stored yet. When you go through the procedure you will get a more detailed reason if it fails.