USB GPS

Clam

USB GPS

Post by Clam »

I have a USB WAAS GPS left over from an Open Flight Solutions FlightBox device. Was wondering if a USB GPS device like this can be read by the HXr system through a USB port, and if so, any guidance for set-up. I currently keep a USB drive in one USB port for data/logbook download and a bluetooth dongle in the other USB port.

If this device will provide the HXr with GPS data, could I add a 2 port hub to one of the HXr ports, or would it need to directly into one of the 2 ports?

Thanks.
Jeff
RV-8 Memphis, TN (KFYE)
jb.flynavy@gmail.com
Bobturner

Re: USB GPS

Post by Bobturner »

I use a Skyradar D2, with its own gps, to feed adsb-in data to my Hx via USB. The Hx does see the gps data (I labeled it gps2). So it is possible.
Clam

Post by Clam »

Thanks Bob. Thought I might as well plug the little bugger in and see what happens as it is just gathering dust on a shelf. Maybe it'll come in handy when my Garmin 430W goes on the blink. Nevermind that in 10+ years the 430W hasn't so much as farted even once. My ADS-B in is via FlightBox but I used their serial connector to the HXr and also Wi-Fi it to an iPad mini.
Jeff
RV-8 Memphis, TN (KFYE)
jb.flynavy@gmail.com
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

We haven't programmed the EFIS to look for plain GPS data on USB inputs. The EFIS currently only looks for ADS-B receivers and XM WX receivers on USB, and only when those are turned on in General Setup.
Clam

Post by Clam »

Ah, ok. Then since I have the ADS-B in wired to a serial pin, I will attempt to have HXr utilize the GPS portion of that stream through serial, as Bob is doing through his USB. Thanks, that saves me some time.
Jeff
RV-8 Memphis, TN (KFYE)
jb.flynavy@gmail.com
Clam

HXr not reading GPS data

Post by Clam »

... as discussed above in this thread, I have an OpenFlightSolutions FlightBox (similar to the SkyRadar Bob mentions using above) that is providing ADS-B in. The FlightBox is connected to a serial port on the HXr. The TIS and FIS portions of the data are being read and displayed just fine by the HXr but I cannot seem to get the GPS data to be read by the HXr. Traffic and weather appear as advertised, but I can't seem to get GPS2 to find any GPS data. My labeled GPS 1 is fed from a Garmin 430W via AIRINC 429 bus. Does the serial port need to be set at 9600 buad for the GPS data to be read? Can the TIS, FIS and GPS data all be read through this single serial port?

I am trying to do via serial exactly what Bob describes doing above via USB with the SkyRadar.
Jeff
RV-8 Memphis, TN (KFYE)
jb.flynavy@gmail.com
Clam

Post by Clam »

Please disregard the previous post, I now have this working
Jeff
RV-8 Memphis, TN (KFYE)
jb.flynavy@gmail.com