AutoPilot Engage/Disengage switch

New in 2019 this product is called the "10.1" after its screen size and is available in Horizon and Sport feature sets. This is not to be confused with an HXr although it shares similar features and graphics.
webutler

AutoPilot Engage/Disengage switch

Post by webutler »

So planning my EFIS install and curious about various switches and other items to go in the new panel.
Installation instructions for the EFIS mentions some pins available for auto-pilot engage/dis-engage switch, which makes sense and I'll be adding in the pitch/roll GRT servos as well. What I'm trying to figure out is if it should be an intermediate contact push toggle switch, or a on/off flip switch. Is it programmable within the EFIS or expecting a specific type?
Do I go with a momentary contact switch on the control stick, or a on/off flip switch on the panel?

--Bill
GRT_Jeff

Re: AutoPilot Engage/Disengage switch

Post by GRT_Jeff »

The engage/disengage input is designed for a momentary contact switch on the panel that grounds when pressed (normally open). The button press is sent to the EFIS to decide what action to take. If the servos aren't engaged, then it engages. If the servos are engaged, it disengages. Placing this button on the control stick is not recommended to avoid accidentally engaging at a critical time. Engaging with this button brings up the special engage menu with HDG/ALT, NAV/ALT, S&L, and 180 buttons on screen. You can have one switch that goes to one or both servos, or you can have separate switches for roll and pitch to be able to engage and disengage them separately.

There is a separate, optional "Disengage" switch input on the roll servo that only disengages both servos. This is also designed for a momentary contact switch that grounds when pressed. This function is designed for a control stick.

The switches are shown on the servo wiring diagrams.
webutler

Re: AutoPilot Engage/Disengage switch

Post by webutler »

Thanks! Sounds like I'll go with a momentary switch on the stick wired to the DISENGAGE input, and that should satisfy my needs for external switches on the autopilot. I imagine I'll be fine for engaging the autopilot via EFIS alone.