Mini-X and TT22

Discussions and updates about the new Mini EFIS line.
deej

Mini-X and TT22

Post by deej »

Isn't that Mini just gorgeous next to the HX? :-)

http://deej.net/glastar/pics/panel/inst ... b-3182.jpg

I am trying to get the Mini-X to talk to the Trig TT22. The Mini manual says not to use the GRT serial adapter, however, the TT22 config page on the Mini has two entries that seem to refer to the adapter, namely "DU-Adapter Communication" and "Adapter-TT22 Communication".

I wired it per the Mini manual without the adapter, but I am unable to communicate with the TT22.

My status page says "DU-Adapter Communication" is "CH1:YES", and "Adapter-TT22 Communication" says "FAIL".

Do I need the adapter, or do I need to start tracing my wiring?

Thanks,

-Dj
deej

Re: Mini-X and TT22

Post by deej »

As a followup to this, it turns out that Pin 13 on the TT22 must be tied to ground in order for the internal power supply in the TT22 to activate. Pin 13 is normally connected to the Trig TC20 control head, which grounds this pin when told to power on the TT22.

Katie is going to add this info to the Mini installation manual when she has a chance.

fyi

-Dj
dutchroll

Post by dutchroll »

While we're on the topic of the TT22, is my understanding correct regarding the above post that when interfaced with the Mini, you cannot use the Trig control head? In other words, you have either one or the other, but not both?
deej

Post by deej »

dutchroll wrote:While we're on the topic of the TT22, is my understanding correct regarding the above post that when interfaced with the Mini, you cannot use the Trig control head? In other words, you have either one or the other, but not both?
Yes, I believe that is a correct statement. Curious, why would you need two control heads for a transponder?
dutchroll

Post by dutchroll »

I saw it implied on another forum by someone who seemed to be thinking about purchasing the Mini as a backup instrument and already had a Trig control head installed.

I totally agree that it would be rather pointless. The worst that can happen in the unlikely event that the Mini fails is that you're stuck on the same squawk code and you can't ident. It might affect getting a clearance in CTA and would obviously need maintenance action before next flight but I wouldn't call it an emergency situation.

I'm doing plans for a panel upgrade with the Mini, but I need to cut a new panel and I'd be removing the Trig head anyway (compact panel in a small aerobatic aircraft). I'd be retaining conventional speed and altitude - I really want the Mini for its other functions which will allow me to remove two instruments I'm not that impressed with, plus the TT22 control head.
deej

Post by deej »

dutchroll wrote: I'm doing plans for a panel upgrade with the Mini, but I need to cut a new panel and I'd be removing the Trig head anyway (compact panel in a small aerobatic aircraft). I'd be retaining conventional speed and altitude - I really want the Mini for its other functions which will allow me to remove two instruments I'm not that impressed with, plus the TT22 control head.
I am using a Mini-X to control a TT22, and it works fine as a control head if using either the built-in A/B lines or the GRT serial adapter.

I ran into one issue. I am using the GPS in the Mini-X to drive the ADS-B GPS input in the TT22. When hooked up using the A/B lines, there were gaps in the ADS-B output transmission, but when hooked up using the GRT Serial adapter, it works fine (no gaps). Jeff thought there might be something in the Mini software that needed tweaking and is working on a fix.

Note that if you want to use the Mini as a control head, using the A/B lines, and your TT22 GPS input is sourced from elsewhere, you likely won't run across this bug.

Overall the Mini-X and TT22 are a great combination, and it is pretty cool to see the Mini change the mode of the TT22 automatically (ground versus flight).

-Dj
dutchroll

Post by dutchroll »

I don't have a GPS input to the TT22 (yet). Down under they are heavily pushing ADSB surveillance due to our huge open spaces without radar coverage, so it is quite likely in the foreseeable future that I'll need to add a certified ADSB box to the aircraft, in which case I would choose one with the appropriate GPS input included. So hopefully this won't be an issue for me anyway.

Unless of course GRT see fit to certify their GPS as an ADSB position source......yeah I'm dreamin'! :D

But nice to hear the Mini and TT22 are a good combo. I just need the Mini now. The "Minister for Finance" is holding out on my funding authority for the moment! :)