Mini AHRS

Discussions and updates about the new Mini EFIS line.
dutchroll

Mini AHRS

Post by dutchroll »

I'm seriously considering the Mini in my small instrument panel in an aerobatic aircraft, as a 2-in-1 replacement for an ADI (essentially used as a "I've screwed up now get me out of this weather" backup) and a portable GPS (the UI, display, and touchscreen of which I've quickly come to dislike). However I do seem to recall that older versions of the GRT AHRS ran into difficulties with rapid (> 200 deg/sec) roll rates. Any reports or knowledge of how the AHRS in the mini will cope with aerobatics, rapid rolling, and quickly regaining attitude reference if the manoeuvring all gets too severe for it?

Mike
jclark

Re: Mini AHRS

Post by jclark »

I think that you MAY have the GRT AHRS confused with another brand.

There was a time in the past where the GRT systems were viewed by some as the ONLY experimental unit they would trust in the clouds or that they would use for aerobatics and not expect them to tumble.

Several aerobatic performers are using the GRT systems. Most notably Team AeroDynamix. See their videos.
I also know a performer who uses the GRT product in his Pitts. No issues from any of these that I am aware of.

I assisted in the install of some of the Team AeroDynamix units, including SX, HXr and Mini.
I have heard of NO tumbles from any of these installs.

I suspect that some of the Team members will eventually pipe up on this matter as well.

James
dutchroll

Re: Mini AHRS

Post by dutchroll »

Thanks for that info James. To be fair to GRT, the info I got is 2nd-hand, actually technically I think 3rd-hand. My gut feeling is that the reference was to 1st generation AHRS systems (GRT certainly has been mentioned in at least one case) and I think things have moved on a bit since then. Of course there could also have been an installation factor too.

Mike