Mini-X, TT22, and Garmin GNS480

Discussions and updates about the new Mini EFIS line.
deej

Mini-X, TT22, and Garmin GNS480

Post by deej »

I'm currently trying to figure out the proper configurations settings for a combination of Mini-X, Trig TT22 transponder, and Apollo CNX80 (Garmin GNS480).

I have the Mini-X setup using the TMAP lines to the Trig TT22, so I am not using the GRT serial adapter. I have a serial link from the GNS480 going to pin 5 on the TT22. In the Mini-X setup, I only have options of "Aviation", "NMEA0183", and "Freeflt/NextNav" for GPS protocol inputs to the TT22. I am under the impression that I need to have "Garmin" as an option in order to work, but I am not sure.

Does anyone have an idea what the TT22 "GPS Input" field should be set to? What about the other settings to be ADS-B compliant?

Thanks,

-Dj
Bobturner

Re: Mini-X, TT22, and Garmin GNS480

Post by Bobturner »

You are not going to like the answer:
At this time the TT22 does not read the proper Garmin format ("ADSB+") which has all the required ADSB data from the gps. However, when I asked Trig a couple of months ago, they said a software revision was coming out 'very soon' that would let it read Garmin's format. You will need to take or send the TT22 to a dealer.
Once this happens, GRT will have to issue new software for the HXr, HX, and Mini, so that they can direct the TT22 to expect that format.
Finally, the original 480 does not output the needed ADSB+ output format. For a long time Garmin has promised a software upgrade (need to go to a Garmin dealer) to get this output. I am not up to date, I don't know if it is available yet. Garmin's software is usually free but you may need to pay the dealer a labor charge.

Bottom line: this setup cannot be made ADSB-out compliant at this time.
deej

Re: Mini-X, TT22, and Garmin GNS480

Post by deej »

The GNS480 is currently able to output Garmin ADS-B+ format with a recent software update.

I was under the mistaken impression that the TT22 already supported the Garmin ADS-B+ format when matched with the Garmin 430W and 530W units. I didn't know that Trig doesn't support that format yet.

No worries, Jeff from GRT replied to my email and indicated that although it can't be setup to be 2020 compliant until the Trig is updated along with the Mini software to allow the menu option, it can be used.

In the Mini, set it to the Aviation setting and configure the GNS480 to output MAPCOM at 9600 baud. Configure the GPS Certification Level to the level of the GPS/WAAS in the TSO Authorization section of the 480 installation manual (this is Level B). NACv can be set to 10 m/s unless you have documentation that it can be set lower.

Thanks!

-Dj