Stratux ADS-B Reeceiver

JimB

Re: Stratux ADS-B Reeceiver

Post by JimB »

Jeff,

I am updating to the latest version software on my Stratux and will include the CP2102 serial chip set. My old GRT XM weather used 115200 baud. The CP2102 chip will allow me to set the baud rate to my GRT. Should I use a high rate like 115200 rather than the low rate (38400) required by the older Stratux software?

Thanks

Jim Butcher
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

Use 115200 to get more data through faster. The only advantage to 38400 is that it was the original standard ADS-B rate, so it's probably compatible with more avionics.
JimB

Post by JimB »

Jeff,

Using my Stratux with the original version of Stratux software (as described in the GRT Supplement) displaying on my Sport HS display, the Traffic Alert Filter doesn't seem to work. I have it set at 2000 ft and I see traffic that is over 6000 ft below me. I'll double check the setting, since traffic is displayed in 100's of feet, perhaps the filter has to be set in 100s of feet too?

I occasionally see some red characters under the black diamond. What are these?

I don't see the number of towers shown in the supplement.

Any ideas? I plan to upgrade my Stratux this Fall so it will have GPS and AHRS information by adding a RY836AI chip and software. I hope the GPS will correct the radar age problem from my earlier post and that my GRT will ignore the AHRS information in the data packet.

Thanks

Jim Butcher
GRT_Jeff

Post by GRT_Jeff »

The old Stratux software set the advisory flag on every traffic report, which overrides the altitude filter. This is also why you see a red ADV under every traffic symbol. I don't know if this is fixed in the newer Stratux software but we filtered it out in our newer EFIS software.

The HS models need several ADS-B updates to get the number of towers, stable traffic for newer receivers, and changes to work better with the Stratux. We won't be able to complete those changes until some time after Oshkosh.

The AHRS data is not sent over the serial channel last I checked, but even if it was mixed with the standard GDL90 data the EFIS would ignore it.
JimB

Post by JimB »

Jeff,

Thanks for the explanation and update. I'm glad to know there is a solution in hand and will look forward to the HS software revision!

Jim Butcher
gdtrfb58

Post by gdtrfb58 »

I am confused about the answer to the question about using USB. Why convert USB to Serial and back to USB? Won't a regular USB cable work directly?
MolsonB

Post by MolsonB »

gdtrfb58 wrote:I am confused about the answer to the question about using USB. Why convert USB to Serial and back to USB? Won't a regular USB cable work directly?
The raspberry pi USB is a host mode controller. You plug devices (device mode) into it, keyboard, mice, gps, etc.
The GRT is also a host mode controller.

Since you can't have two hosts talking to each other, it's an easy work around to go USB -> Serial to Serial -> USB
Bo1000

Sport EX USB output current; GPS required?

Post by Bo1000 »

1. I think uAvionix's pingEFB (60mA) replaces the two SDR receivers (300mA each). So it appears that the total draw (Stratux, pingEFB, GPS, fan) is well under an amp. Can the Sport's USB connection supply that much?

2. Can the Sport use its own GPS data, or does the Stratux have to have its own GPS receiver? Sure would be nice not to have yet another GPS antenna!

Thanks!
MolsonB

Re: Sport EX USB output current; GPS required?

Post by MolsonB »

Bo1000 wrote:1. I think uAvionix's pingEFB (60mA) replaces the two SDR receivers (300mA each). So it appears that the total draw (Stratux, pingEFB, GPS, fan) is well under an amp. Can the Sport's USB connection supply that much?

2. Can the Sport use its own GPS data, or does the Stratux have to have its own GPS receiver? Sure would be nice not to have yet another GPS antenna!

Thanks!
1. I don't think the usb serial connection supplies charging power to the raspberry Pi. Maybe it does but usb bus is limited to 500mA anyways. I use a simple cigarette usb charger (for cellphones) to raspberry Pi, needs a good 1amp for reliability.

2. GRT will use its own GPS data first. You don't need one on raspberry. If you use a tablet app (flight plan, avare) that connects to startux wifi, then you'll need a GPS attached to make the app more robust. Onboard GPS on tablet can be used but not as good.
Bo1000

Post by Bo1000 »

Thank you, MolsonB!